I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

The Denim Skirt--Simplicity 4701

This is item #6 for the Spring Wardrobe Contest.  I'm trucking right along.  At this rate I may possibly finish as I have finished  7 as well but have yet to blog it.  This is a remarkable pace for me.  Usually I binge sew on the weekends and on days off, but I've been working a lot of 2nd shifts, so I've gotten a couple of hours in the morning in as well. I don't get to see much of Hubs that way but I am getting a lot of sewing done. 

Back to the skirt.  This is Simplicity 4701, now out of print. I made view F, the little red skirt on the cover. I've made this skirt so many times; each in a different size.  I just love it. 


I've made this skirt twice before in different sizes, so apparently I can't live without it.  It's just so easy to wear and such a basic item.  This times it's in a size 18 made from a denim/lycra blend from Denver fabrics.   The instructions are pretty straightforward but not in an easy order: they hop back and forth to the pants.  Example for the pockets: see steps 2-9 of pants.  


 

I only made two changes to the pattern.  I omitted the back patch pockets, I don't need anymore junk in my trunk, and I made the closure a button instead of hook, just personal preference. I serged and topstitched the seams for a faux flatfell seam like the directions say.  Just didn't feel like messing with the flatfell foot that day.

I just love my new skirt and I off to try to finish Item # 8, another top. Happy sewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment