I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Simplicity 1698--The Geometric Skirt.

Simplicity 1698 is one of those simple wardrobe patterns.  It features a top, jacket and  two styles of long skirts.  I made the tulip skirt.  Actually, this is the second time I've made this skirt.

I cut a size 18 plus an extra 1/2 inch at the waist and hip since I'm a little larger this time around.  I also shortened it an inch.  This is such a quick sew!  Just 2 front pieces and 1 back piece and you're done except for the rather extensive hemming.  The first time I made it from a very stretchy ITY and lettuce-edged the hem and it came out great.  This time though I hemmed it all and serged the seams.



I used an ITY knit from Fabric Mart in a geometric design featuring brown, red, yellow, orange and cream.  When I bought it I thought top, but when I got it I saw the brown ran in vertical stripes so I decided skirt but wanted some shape to it, too.  Simplicity 1698 filled the bill.  With it's elastic waist its super comfy to wear, too. Always a consideration at my age--I don't have to be uncomfortable for fashion anymore.   I figure with it's color scheme it should take me through summer and well into fall.  (Maybe winter, too, with boots.)   It's pictured here with Vogue 8817, soon to be blogged. 

 Speaking of fall, Happy Fall, y'all and happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment