I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Friday, February 9, 2018

Sewing Without a Plan; Butterick 5954 & Simplicty 1280

Did you ever have a plan that got sidelined by another project?  Well, that's what's happened to the Vogue 9205.  I still intend to finish it soon; I just have some need-to sewing that got in the way.

Hubs and I got tickets to see Lana Del Ray in concert in Nashville this week.  I didn't have anything to wear, so of course I had to make a new outfit for the event.  Enter Butterick 5954.  A top I've made before.  My pattern is for XS-Med, and I've grown since I made it last, so I graded to a Large.


The top has a cross over front, cowl neck, a hi-low hem, and lots of flair over the bootie.


The fabric is a Liverpool Double Knit from fabric.com.  It's also available from Cali Fabrics.  I love the prints this stuff comes in and ordered another cut when I got this.  It's not as heavy as some double knits, about the weight of a ponte but with a spongy feel and crepe-like surface.  It was wonderful stuff to sew with.

The new top required a new bottom.  I knew I wanted leggings to go with this top so I found Simplicity 1280  had leggings in it--I bought it for the top as yet unsewn.  This was a super quick and easy project, even with the re-do.


I cut an XL based on my measurement.  Shorted the front rise 1 inch, raised the center back rise 3/4 inch, and added 1/2 inch to inseam at crotch.  I ended up taking in the side and inseams to about a medium (leaving the hips an XL) to get a snugger fit--it ran really loose--and cut 1¼ inch off hem.  Next time I'll take more off the rise as the waistband rides very high on the waist but not annoyingly so.   The fabric is a thin scuba knit from fabric.com from ages ago.  I should be able to wear it year round.

One more side track project and then its back to the Vogue.  And if you're a Lana Del Ray fan, the show was great!  We had a wonderful time.  Try to go if she comes near you.

4 comments:

  1. You were looking real good at the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the time - but then I think my plans include deviations! Very pretty top and a good length for leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you Sarah Liz. I always enjoy the back story to your makes.

      Delete