I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

I've Been a Busy Girl--Burda 6969

Here it is the middle of February and I've written nary a thing but I have been a very busy girl.  I signed up for the Pattern Review Wardrobe Contest.  For this contest, the participant must make 10 items of clothing:  2 bottoms, 2 tops, 1 topper and 5 sewer's choice.  All things must co-ordinate with each other.  I know I have nil chance of winning, but I'm participating for 2 reasons.  1) To try to participate more in the sewing community and 2) to get a better rounded-out wardrobe that works with itself. There are a lot of orphans in the closet.  Most of these pieces will be for Spring/Summer as Winter is fast waning.

First up on the agenda was a top, Burda 6969.  This a loose flowing scoop-neck top with a key-hole in the front neckline.  I've made it once before as a dress and found it very comfortable for summer wear. 

I cut the front and the back on the fold and omitted the keyhole as the top is low enough the keyhole would just be flashing the girls.  Who needs that at this age? 

I cut a size 16 neck and a size 18 hip.  The shoulder straps were also shortened by 1/2 inch as they constantly fall down on the dress--the only thing I hate about it.

The back looks just like the front only slightly higher at the neckline.  The fabric was a poly-charmuese from Joann's.  I fell in love with the colors and the feel of the fabric.  I figure this top can be dressed up or down--worn tucked in with skirt/dress slacks or loose with blue jeans.

I'm really pleased with how smoothly the bias binding turned out.  Usually I have to really work with it to keep twists from forming.  The sewing machine just really liked this fabric. 

So Piece #1 is done.  Now to review it on Pattern Review.  I actually have Pieces #2, 3, and 4 done as well.  Those will be shared with you in the coming days.  I'm working with shades of tan/gold and blue with bits of brown.  It sounds disjointed, but actually works well together.  Most of it is coming from stash too so that's an extra plus. 

Next up, Butterick 5429.  Happy sewing.


Sunday, February 14, 2016

January Sewing Wrap Up

I'm such a bad blogger.  I'm so behind with my sewing activities.  January has been a productive month for me, considering I only got one item out last month.  I made three items this month: a dress, a top, and some exercise leggings. 
First up, the dress:  New Look 6298, view C.  I've seen so many of these on Pattern Review I just had to get the pattern.  Then I found this really cool mystery knit at Joann's.  It's thick and spongy with a crepe-like texture on the surface and a smooth finish on the back.  It may be a ponte; it was wonderful to sew with, though.  Due to the very large print, I decided not to put on the pockets 1) because it would be difficult to match, and 2) I just thought they'd look silly on this dress.
The dress went together like a breeze, so few pieces and they fit together perfectly. The darts on the shoulder are a neat feature.  I just love my new dress.  It's so easy to wear. I started the day with the dress loose, but just felt better with it belted.  It seemed to give it just a little shape. 
The top is Simplicity 2181, view B with twist front and 3/4 sleeves.   The fabric is also from Joann's, a cotton jersey that wanted to curl at the edges making hemming all these edges a bit of a challenge.  I've sewn this pattern before; the sleeveless version of this top a couple of years ago in a spandex knit.  What a difference fabric makes.  That top fit much snugger.  This one is a little loose at the waist, but not so much so that it needs to be taken up.  The print on this fabric is rows of small dots growing into larger brushstrokes.  This meant careful pattern placement so the top looked balanced. 
I think I succeeded in that respect. For some reason I'm just not wild about this top.  I don't know why.  It looks fine, feels good on, no trauma and drama in sewing it up but it just doesn't make my heart sing. 
Next and last for this January is Butterick 6295, a Lisette pattern for exercise togs.  I made view D. full-length leggings with the gathered calf inset.  These look so cute on the pattern envelope! I mean really its got it all going on--in a good way:  Exercise leggings that are cute, have contrasting side inset with the cute gathering on the calf and pockets!  Pockets big enough for a phone, not just a single key!   These aren't just pretty, they mean business.  I thought I'd give them a try as I like wearing leggings for exercising in--and boy do I need all the encouragement I can get with that!
These were a little fiddly to sew.  First there's the getting of the pockets on.  Which I managed to get one on upside down and didn't notice it until I was nearly done.  In other words, too late to do anything about it.  Then there's all the gathering at the calf.  I also couldn't wrap my head around the directions for the seams.  I think they were going for a faux coverstitch look, but it just wasn't making sense to me.  I just stitched, serged, then top-stitched the seams.  I know I'm not a good model for these, but they are comfy and the pockets are terrific! So there will be more this spring or summer.
February is already off to a roaring start thanks to some serious motivation on Pattern Review.  But more about that next post.