Out thoughts and prayers are with Manchester.
Friday, May 19, 2017
McCall's 7542, everyone who sews it seems has made this pattern or used the sleeves from it. It's just so cute I had to jump on the band wagon, too. My version, however, did not result in a top I can wear. On the bright side though, someone bigger than me can so it will go into the charity pile.
The top didn't fail because of the pattern, it was all operator error. The first and biggest mistake was the fabric. It looks oh so pretty doesn't it? I got it from Fashion Fabrics Club and have found them to be a hit or miss in their fabrics. Some things are great, some things leave a little to be desired: not quite as described or too thin. That sort of thing. This was described as poly crepon. What the heck is that? I had no idea but decided it was so pretty I decided I'd buy it anyway. Total dork attack. It arrived as a polyester, wrinkled crepe fabric 60" wide. After the washer and dryer, however, it was about 47" wide! I figured an unstructured top might be best as it was too thin for a skirt and I had another skirt in similar colorway planned.
I cut a size 20, my usual these days, with a C-cup and used the tulip sleeves. When I pin fit it, the neck was too high for me. I lowered the neck by scooping it out 1 inch making a new matching facing (my first time. Yay! It came out correctly.) I also did a narrow shoulder adjustment, despite there being a back shoulder dart. This, too, is normal for me. I'm just short enough that the length was good for me without being cropped.
The End Result: it grew! It's still too wide in the shoulder and way too wide in the body. The neckline is slightly too wide, even though I didn't do anything to that. I'm swimming in the tulip sleeves. They're just too much fabric and come down below my elbow at the inner arm.
Lesson Learned: I still like this pattern and still want to sew a manageable version of it. I need to use a stable fabric, though. I could stand to go down a size I think width-wise. It literally swallows me whole. The C- cup works well; the dart was in the proper place. The tulip sleeves are lovely to look at but not to wear. Next time I will a more formed sleeve. Either View C or D appeal to me. I'll need to double check that shoulder width next time, too, to see if it was fabric vs fit. So I still come away with I think a very workable pattern. I just need to incorporate the lessons learned. Now to find the right fabric. :)
Monday, May 1, 2017
I saw this pattern and fell in love with view A. It just a plain little peasant top, intended to be sewn with an embroidered border fabric like eyelet. After looking for a little while, I found this stunning denim chambray with lace and embroidery by Telio from Fabric.com
According to the pattern measurements, this size 20 was going to be a little snug in the hips. I wanted it to be loose and flowy. So I added 2½ inches to the center front of the gathered section and 2 inches to the back. I left the neck yoke the same size as that part fit great.
The pattern photo shows this top ending at the mid-hip line. Mine ends at the lower hip line, but I'm quite a bit shorter and prefer this tunic length. The directions are rather sparse and illustrations for the few steps they outline. It's a quick, easy sew that makes sense on its own, though, without a lot of help. I love how neatly the neckline lays. It's been perfect for some of our warmer days already.
This is my last entry for Faye's Tops That Pop Sew A Long. I'm sure going to miss this. It's been a real motivator for me and I've loved seeing all the different tops that have been made. So many awesome entries!
Well, on to the next project, a much needed nightie. Happy sewing all.