I started this top in June but it got side-lined by the shirts for the boys and the Jane Austen Project. I was so happy to get back to it. This fabric, a cotton shirting from Fabric Mart, was a dream to sew with. It did everything asked without a hiccup or pucker, even the set-in sleeves and the collar.
The pattern is reviewed 65 times on Pattern Review and I can see why it's so loved! The instructions just make sense and the pieces fit together so nicely. The fit is good, too. I cut a size 18 neck, shoulder, cuff and sleeve and used the size 20 for the bust, waist and hips. The shoulders run a little wide, according to reviews, and I found that I had to do a slightly larger narrow shoulder adjustment than usual.
The collar and band went together like a charm. And it lays so neatly in this fabric.
The tab was a cinch to make and install. I really like the feature, too, however the rolled up sleeves hit me just below the elbow and always inch their way up during the day. I also made it with the traditional cuff and placket so I can wear my sleeves down this fall.
I had a remnant left over, so I made hubs a pocket square for one of his suits that he wears with a lavender shirt. They look so nice together.
Well, back to sewing. I have a new McCall's in the works.