I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, October 20, 2019

New Hiking Top--McCall's 7574

It may have been a while since I posted last, but I have been busy with sewing.  Especially sewing this top for vacation in the Great Smokey Mountains.  We were lucky enough to get reservations at our favorite campground there, Smokemont, for the first week of October.  There wasn't much fall color yet but there was plenty of adventure to be had.  We spent one day in Gatlinburg shopping and eating and hiked a different trail daily the rest of the time.  We even got to backpack into the backcountry and sleep in one of the remote campsites!  But enough about the trip, now the top.

I took an extra week of vacation before out joint vacation as a sew-cation.  I made two tops and a small doll's quilt.  Today I'll share the McCall's top, 7574 a Melissa Watson pattern that I made for our hiking trip.




 I've made this top before and really liked the lines and how nicely that top fit.  I had some nylon/ spandex activewear by Judy P Apparel that I got from Fabric Mart.  I didn't realize just how bold and bright the color was until it arrived.  It's rather like a neon coral, but I like the thickness of it (could be used as leggings) and several of her fabrics have wicking properties.  Not sure if this one does but I really like the feel of it and it sewed up so nicely.

This is view B with 2 inches added to the length, this gal doesn't do crop tops, and I was really looking for a sportier fit.  I cut a size 18 at the neck and a size 20 for the bust and hips. The sleeve has a size 20 bicep tapering to a size 16 at the wrist. I used the regular collar instead of the mock turtleneck it shows.  I really like the longer length  the sleeves have.  Like all Palmer/Pletsch patterns, Melissa's come with all kinds of fit advice and directions for alterations.  The only alteration I made was to remove some of the curve from the top of the shoulder seam.  It was made for a much broader shoulder.  I could still shave more off to get a really good fit, now it has a little lump on each shoulder.


I topstitched the curve of the raglan sleeves with a darker strawberry shade to make the seams more  like those in RTW sportswear.   Collar and hems and center back seam were done with the same treatment.



I really like how the top came out and it performed well on the trails: warm enough for the cooler     temps there but breathable when the going got warm and dewy.  (Mom always said, "Ladies don't      sweat, they get dewy.")  The color is a bit too bold for me, but they'll have no trouble finding me in    the woods! 
  

I'll leave you with a closing shot of our trip.  
Sunset over the Smokies.


                                                                                                                                                  


4 comments:

  1. Your new top sounds perfect for your hiking trip. The mountains sound beautiful. Do you have to take any precautions about bears ? We only have snakes to worry about here but generally avoid humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have to take bear precautions with our food by hanging it high in the air. The camp 2 miles from ours had been being harassed by a bear. The only one we saw was across a river catching fish. We were quite safe. They usually shy away from humans. I would be more afraid of the snakes!

      Delete
    2. They do avoid humans generally although tiger snakes have been known to be aggressive. Very few people die from snake bite but the locals vets tell me they often have to treat dogs .

      Delete
  2. Fashion Write For UsAugust 17, 2020 at 2:31 AM

    Hey! Like the Interesting Post. Keep up the good work and visit Fashion Write For Us

    ReplyDelete