I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Flat Fell Seams and Plackets, Oh My!

Work is progressing on the Simplicity 1328.  With generous help from David Page Coffin's book Shirtmaking-Developing Skills for Fine Sewing, I've been able to sew the plackets in place and I believe they look good.

(I'm in the process of sewing on the cuff now.)  They're straight and raw edges are all enclosed. So far so good. 

Next up were the seams.  The Shirtmaking book recommends using a flat fell foot for best results.  My machine didn't come with one, so off to Amazon.com I trotted til I finally found a foot that would fit my machine:


Now what to do with it. It came with no directions.  I found this great tutorial on You Tube:

 
Now  I'm doing flat fell seams also! 
 
 
It's hard to see them on this gray fabric and black thread but you get the idea.   The thickness of the  flannel made it difficult.  Had it been a regular shirting cotton it would have been much easier I think.  But I practiced for a long time on scraps of the fabric before I launched into the real stuff. I'm learning so much with this project!  Hope you're having fun with your sewing too.  Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment