I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Monday, April 18, 2016

My New Favorite T-Shirt, McCall's 6964

I've tried making T-shirts in the past.  There were always problems:  too short, neckline fits funny, or most often, sleeves too short.  All that has changed with this pattern.  McCall's 6964 is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern so you know there's going to be lots of fitting advice in there. 

I made the long-sleeved view D with a little bit of modifications.


First, I used the knit mesh from Fabric Mart over the entire top, not just the front.  Due to its sheerness, I used a solid blue ITY knit, also from Fabric Mart for the underlay on the front and back bodice pieces leaving the sleeves sheer.  I simply sewed the ITY/mesh pieces as one unit.  I also did a ½ inch forward shoulder adjustment.  I cut a size 16 neck and bust and graded to an 18 waist and
 hip (my pattern only went to a size 16).  The only other change I made was to shorten it by about 3 inches, it was very long on me.



This top is so stinking comfortable!  And perfect for our spring with its variable temps.  I love wearing it.

It's shown here with the tan slacks I made for the Wardrobe Contest (Vogue 8157) as this was intended to be part of my entry.  Oh well, have a great top I love wearing and it looks really great with jeans.  I enjoyed working with the knit mesh so much and enjoy wearing it so much I ordered some more and have it cut out already for another one of these. 

Hope your spring sewing is going well.  Happy sewing all.



No comments:

Post a Comment