I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Summer's Last Sigh: Butterick 5185 and Simplicity 8053

The calendar may say fall, and the leaves may finally be beginning to say fall, but the temps around here are still fairly warm.  I don't feel too bad doing this last blog post about summer tops since I'm still wearing them. 

First up is Butterick 5185, view C ; now out of print.


This is a pullover V-neck top with a twist feature at the waist, falling into a split skirt.  I made it shorter like in view A and B though.  I cut a size 18, which fits me snugly but not tightly.  My husband really likes this one. 


The fabric came from Fabric.com and is a cotton jersey knit.  It has a lot of give to it, so my topstitching is not the best despite using a walking foot.  Only another seamstress would notice it, though, it's just a little wobbly looking in some places. 


I made this top once before and the fit was much looser, and the skirt really annoyed me.  With this top, it's really cute. Just the right length, skims over the hips and hangs nicely over the fluffy tummy parts.  The twist makes it very slimming with the gathers.  (The instructions make the twist very easy to do.)  This was planned as part of a wardrobe project earlier this year that did not get completed.

The second top is Simplicity 8053, View B, the sleeveless, top with collar and contrasting bottom section.

I loved this pattern when in came out, it's just so cute and screams  "Summer Top."  Then to find that I already had two very workable fabrics in my stash made this project ready-to-go.  Both fabrics are cottons that have been in the stash so long their origins are long since forgotten. 


I cut a straight size 18. I meant to cut a 20 at the hip, but got interrupted during the process and forgot.  It still fits nicely though, even over bulky jeans.  I love the princess seams and the little faux pocket flaps are just cute as can be.


The collar is one piece, no stand. It sits so nicely though in the firmer cotton on top that it looks like a two-piece collar instead.


I used the dark purple for the bias binding on the armscyes, and even that went in easily.  Cotton is such a pleasure to work with.  I find it so cooperative and doesn't usually need special treatment like so many other fabrics I play with.  


I went from having almost no summer tops this season to having several that I really enjoy wearing.  I should be set to at least begin the season next year well stocked.  One always needs to update though. :)

Next up is fall sewing.  I really have begun.  I'm all excited about my last project and can't wait to share and wear , Butterick 5680.  Hopefully we'll get some cooler days soon as I've started on my next project:  the first of the jackets for fall.

Happy sewing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment