I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Saffron to Chase the Winter Blahs--Simplicity 8982

There's nothing quite like a dash of yellow to cheer a girl up.  We've had so many gloomy winter days I needed a splash of sunshine to brighten things up!  Enter Simplicity 8982.   I fell in love with this pattern the moment I saw it.  I just had to have those sleeves!



When I looked through my fabric stash catalog, the only knit I had that was the correct weight was this saffron yellow ponte from Fabric Mart--The same as the cover photo!  Normally, I don't copy covers, I prefer to show more imagination than that, but it was what I had, and it was perfect.  I had only 1½ yards to eke out the top and the skirt.  This necessitated some changes to the cutting layout.

I added a center back seam to both top and skirt as there was simply not enough fabric to put all those pieces on  the fold.  The skirt I cut as a straight size 22 based on hip measurement.  The top was a combination of sizes: 18 for the neck and shoulders, 20 for the bust and waist, and 22 for the hip.  I serged all the seams, and used Knit 'N Stable tape for the hems.  (I love this stuff!  No more wavy hems!)  I shortened the top hem 2 inches and shortened the shoulder seam 3/4 inch as well for my narrow shoulders.


The skirt is view D, the longer one, but I had to shorten it 4 inches for my shorter height.  I really like that the pattern has back darts on the skirt as well.  It lends a little better shaping to this tapered skirt and minimizes bulk at the waist.

Sorry for the shots on Zelda instead of me.  I'm still unable to wear any shoes other than my gray sneakers and they just aren't the right vibe for this outfit.  LOL  Hopefully soon I'll be wearing the skirt with my dress shoes.  I'm already enjoying the top.  One note, though.  Next time I make this top,  I will be tapering the pattern piece for the wristband to get a snugger fit at the wrist.   The pattern piece is a large rectangle and it needs to be more like an hourglass to get a fitted wrist.

I really like both of these pieces and will probably make them again in the future.  The color makes me so happy.  The top goes with jeans, khakis, and my blue slacks.  I have a sweater the exact same shade that will also work with the skirt.  So these pieces play very nicely with my current wardrobe.

Next up, something in paisley!






1 comment:

  1. These look like great staples, I like the colour of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete