I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Arrgg!! Computers! and Simplicity 4074

You know the old saying about men...Can't live with them, can't live without them.  Well, I feel that way about my computer.  The contrary beast decided to crash last month.  After 5 weeks in computer hospital, they're slow but so very good, it has a new hard drive and is back to normal.  At last.  There's a limit to what these fumbly fingers can do on the phone, and writing posts is not one of them.  It's back now and running brilliantly. Hubs and I are very happyto have it back. On to sewing.

I visited Simplicity 4074 again.



I just love this skirt pattern.  It's for knits, is a 6-gore skirt with just the right amount of flair at the knee to be kicky and fun.  It's the third time I've made it and I love each version.  

This time I made it from a brushed poly/spandex from Fabric Mart in a gorgeous paisley print.  As you can see, it goes beautifully with my golden Simplity 8982 top.  Funny thing is, I bought this fabric thinking I would make this top from it.  After I got it, it told me it wanted to be a skirt instead.  




I did change the waistband on this one.  Instead of using a traditional elastic casing, I serged the elastic to the top of the waist, then turned it down and stitched it down at the side seans for a smoother more RTW finish.  I really like how it turned out.  The fabric was too light for my usual Knit'n Fuse tape hem treatment. So I used my machine's walking foot and the hem came out beautifully--no waves at all.  

I'm trying to sew more, but find I'm often too exhausted by work to sew.  I'm deemed an essential worker being a pharmacy tech.  We are a 24 hour pharmacy, so we're all working more hours during this time of pandemic and panic. There are so many sew-a-longs and quilt-a-longs going on now.  I'd love to participate in so many of them but I just don't have the time.  I am participating in Pat Sloan's quilt along for the month of April.  It's just a block a day and is an easy block at that so I feel I can keep up with that one.  I'm going with a red, white, and blue theme. 

What about you?  How are you spending your quarantine time?  Are you participating in a sew along, sewing on your own or has inertia struck at the this great disturbance to your routine?   



1 comment:

  1. I love that type of waistband finish on knits. Very cute outfit there.

    Stay safe (and sane!).

    I am working from home full-time currently and sewing a lot of spring clothes. It's 29 degrees right now so "spring" is a "maybe one day in May it'll warm up and stay warm" deal :-p

    ReplyDelete