I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Chiffon Collection

 During the summer months it gets pretty hot and humid here in Kentucky.  I have a lot of chiffon in my stash, some from many years ago.  I thought it would be cool dressing to wear some loose-fitting chiffon tops over tank tops.  I always wear them under my scrubs for work, so I have several to work with.  


Butterick 6853


I have one word for this pattern:  Voluminous.   I sewed a Large, when usually I sew an X-Large.  If you're a Large, buy the medium pattern--you'll have plenty of room in it.    I omitted the ties on the end of the cold-shoulder sleeve; they just looked silly sitting on my elbows.  I also trimmed 3 inches off the hem but I'm only 5'3".  There are lots of narrow hems, but it's still a quick sew.  



    Simplicity 8172 


This is a quick, simple little kimono jacket, View A.  I intended it for my one of my daughters because she loves elephants and the print is rows of right-side up and upside down elephants.  I made the XXL, but it's barely fitting me and I find it a little on the short side.  You can't see the trim, but there is 2-inch black fringe on the hem.  (It called for 3 inch fringe, but Joann's only had the 2 inch.)  I accidently ordered a second cut of this fabric, but can't seem to place it now. I'll find it eventually and make her a topper with that.  



This is a View D from the same pattern, in an XL.  I made it from all the same fabric instead of doing a contrast skirt.  I just fell in love with the little white embroidered daisies and leaves but they were a bugger-bear to sew because they're so dense.  My hem is a little off in places, only noticeable to me, because the flowers just would not fold.  This jacket fits well, and I love the flared skirt on it. 

Vogue 9275



This pattern actually calls for knits, but I always saw it as a loose-flowing material, like the chiffon.  Since it called for a knit, I cut an XXL.  Next time, I'll just cut a large.  I also scooped out the neck, a little too much it turns out.  I'm not thrilled with this one, I fell like a yellow fire hydrant in it.  And the "cuffed sleeve" was awkward to sew.  I don't know if I'll play with this pattern again or not.  I love the leggings and would like to try them.  

Well, that's got me caught up on the chiffon sewing.  I have more to share soon.  Happy sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I actually like the yellow one, I just somehow want to pull the top shoulder edge over a bit, to match the edge of your black top. If only it was that easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Simplicity toppers. Flattering and more high-end looking.

    ReplyDelete