I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Simplicity 2896 and Zelda Gets a Makeover

 This dress, Simplicity 2896, was just not meant to be.  I purchased the fabric, a poplin with lycra, I believe,  intending to make a skirt, but discovered that I didn't have enough fabric for a gathered skirt and I didn't want a pencil skirt from it.  Looking thru my pattern catalog, I found this little sundress and thought the fabric would work beautifully.  The dress only needed 2 yards for the size 22. 


 

It sewed up so nicely: the fabric behaved beautifully, the notches and markings all lined up correctly, the instructions were clear with good illustrations. It was adorable--but not on me.  This dress made me realize just how much weight I've put on recently.  I've lost my waist completely and I'm now an apple shape as opposed to being a fluffy hourglass that I once was.  I look like all belly in this dress and I don't have a jacket yet to wear over it.  

Change needs to occur.  First, food.  Watch what I eat and portion control.  And no more late night ice cream!  Second, I need to start walking again.  I've let myself become too sedentary.    Third, face the fact the body changed and sew for it.  Zelda, my dressmaker double, needs to reflect the current me:  Zelda needs a makeover.

So I took my measurements, put a good bra on her, got out the quilt batting and started padding her up 



 
Zelda now is a much closer facsimile of me.  Bust is notably larger as is waist and hip.  I also raised her back up to her proper height--she had slipped down several inches and was useless for hemming.  


I may not be happy about the changes, but I have to acknowledge the problem in order to deal with it.  Current sewing no longer features the waist, I've just finished 2 T-shirts I need to review and some chiffon kimonos, that skim the figure.   The only pie I'm eating these days is humble pie as I get used to Zelda's new look. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that the world beginning to reopen has caused lots of epiphanies! I put away anything I can't fit *right now* and...ONWARD.

    Nice work on padding out the form though, that's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete