I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Finally! Simplicity 1254-- The Leanne Marshall Coat.

I finally finished this coat and I'm finally getting to wear it and I'm also finally getting around to blogging about it!  I've been working on Simplicity 1254 for weeks now.  It's been my first foray into coat making and it's really been the learning process.  

I made view A, the shorter version.  I didn't do a muslin, and I probably should have.  I had read reviews on Pattern Review that it ran snug, especially in the arms and they advised going up a size, which I did.  The only other change I made was to narrow the shoulders a ½ inch.  A muslin would have revealed that the pockets are small and I would have made those larger, but that's the only change I would have made. 

The coat is made of a poly/wool blend Melton coating from Fabric Mart.  I caught is on sale for only $16 a yard, which was my most expensive fabric purchase ever!  But I loved the plum color so much!  The pictures really don't do it justice.  It's a lovely deep plum/berry color.  The lining is a pink poly-charmeuse from Fashion Fabric club.  I decided to interline it for added warmth and used some soft flannel from Joann's.  The wool sewed so nicely!  I can see now why so many sewists enjoy using it. 



The pattern directions were OK until you get to step 11.  That's where everyone on Pattern Review was getting lost, too.  Their method of attaching the lining to the coat makes no sense.  I finally just did it my way and it worked out well. 


The zipper is a little odd but in the end it does make sense.  You just have to read the directions through before you apply it.  The cowl collar closes with a large snap I purchased at Joann's. 

I'm really enjoying wearing my coat.  When I finished it, the temps were in the upper 50s and 60s.  Not coat weather.  So disappointed.  Since then, however, winter has found it's way back to us and I've gotten lots of opportunity to wear it.  I'm sure this is an item that will be worn for several years.

Now on to Spring sewing!  Happy sewing all!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment