I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Fabric Made Me Do It--McCall's 6964

I love this pattern; it's a true TNT for me.  I've made it 6 or 7 times and it's been a winner every time--until this time.  This time, however, was my fault and maybe the fabric's. The fabric is a pretty jersey knit with mesh strips sewn on top with stitches, braid and some sequins from Fabric Mart.

The problem started out with the lay out.  I couldn't be sure which side was the selvedge. I couldn't tell the selvedge from the cut edge.  Typically, with these ruffled fabrics, the ruffles run horizontally.   With this fabric, there is no stretch crosswise with the ruffles running horizontally and the stretch runs vertically.  If  I put the ruffles vertically, the crosswise stretch is going across the body.



Thinking that maybe it was designed to be different, I went with the crosswise stretch and the vertical ruffles.  I cut my usual size 16 neck and 18 bust, waist, and hips.  Looking at the finished product, all I can see is a blue hot dog that's been microwaved and split open in several places.


Apparently, I should have treated the knit as a woven and gone with the no-stretch ruffles on the horizontal and a pattern for a woven as well.  The top doesn't work on me, but it may for someone else so it's going into to donation pile.  

The pattern remains a favorite; the fabric made me do it.  It was a learning  opportunity and several lessons were learned.  So on to the next project.....more leggings!


1 comment:

  1. What a pity it did not work out - it's so beautiful. Someone is going to be very happy with this...Good luck with your next project.

    ReplyDelete