I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Saturday, May 22, 2021

A Top and Shorts: New Look 6604 and Butterick 6028

     Well, I'm sewing right along for my summer wardrobe.  This week, I made a cute little top and some shorts.  I'll start with the shorts since I finished them first.   The pattern is Butterick 6028  which is actually for pants.  I had made these pants once before, and they were a disaster.  So HUGE! I had to chuck them but they've always haunted me because I like the back leg seaming so much.  I needed  some shorts, and had a yard and a half of this twill leftover from another project.  I figured I make these up as shorts as a toile for a later pair of pants.  


Well, they fit great and were an easy sew just like the package says.  I made a size 20 extending the crotch curve 1/2 inch in front and 3/4 inch in back.  Next time I make these, I need to do a 22 back and 20 front for just a tad bit more room.  More on that in another post soon, 

All in all, the pattern went together nicely and according to directions except for the waistband notches.  They don't match up with the corresponding waist notches at all. I joined the two pieces by lining up their side seams and it fit perfectly in place.  

The top is  New Look 6604 which has 3 different tops all  featuring pintrucks.  I sewed view A which has pintucks on the front and on each short sleeve.  



You can't really see the pintucks very well with the striped fabric ( a cotton voile from Fabric Mart) but they're there, adding a nice shape to the bust and a fun little flair to the sleeve. This was such a fast and fun make!  I finished it from cut to hem in less than 6 hours!  Amazing to me, a slower sewist.  




The pintucks were actually very easy to execute as they aren't very narrow.  They just require care in marking the fabric accurately.  


The pattern called for lace at the hem, but I used some aqua pom-pom trim instead.  I think it's a fun little touch.  I really enjoyed sewing this pattern and would like to use it again and do up the sleeveless top.  Well, back to the sewing machine.  Happy sewing all!

  

1 comment:

  1. I like the outfit a lot! Especially the Pom Pom trimmed, tucked, striped top!

    ReplyDelete