I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Asian-inpired Cross-over Top

I'm getting more time in the sewing room these days. So I'm getting a little more accomplished as well.  The Asian-inspired Top is Butterick 5046, which is now out of print, using view A. 


 
As you can see, it's a simple little crossover V-neck empire top that buttons just below the bust then falls into a tunic-length skirt.   I used an Asian-looking cotton print that's been in the stash for several years.  ( I'm trying so hard to sew from stash.)  The only modifications I made were a slight forward shoulder adjustment and used 2 buttons at the waist instead of just the one the pattern called for. It just looked more balanced that way.


 
The lack of any gathers under the bust give it a flat front so no preggers look--I'm just fluffy but it would lie flat on others. I also had to place a snap on the neckline to prevent gaping.  I was flashing everyone every time I moved! And it's just too hot here to wear a cami underneath it.  The armholes are bound with purchased bias binding. I'm so proud of how neat it came out. 


I've made this once before in a voile with beading all around the neckline but alas, it's too big now.  I considered adding sequins to this one but couldn't get the motif centered in a way that it would make sense with sequins.  I think I works as is though.  It's certainly comfy and cool in our humid Kentucky summer.  Next up a dress and some cross stitch.   Happy stitching.

No comments:

Post a Comment