I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Pink Peasant Top

Like so many other sewers out there I'm a huge fan of The Great British Sewing Bee.  I enjoy it so much I'll re-watch episodes just for inspiration and to enjoy their camaraderie.  This particular episode dealt with chiffon and so inspired me I dug out my own chiffon and a pattern, New Look 6891, a set of loose peasant-style tops.


Years ago I got 4+ yards of this fabric at a thrift shop.  I tried to make a top of it but botched up the cutting so badly I abandoned the project.  Fast forward several years and a little more experience and knowledge and cutting out wasn't so difficult with great care and lots of pinning.  No sliding, shifting or distortion.   The last New Look I stitched up was a size 16 and ended up too small to wear.  I wanted this to be loose and flowing, so I cut a size 18.

I used French seams through out, even the arm scye.  The bias binding at the neck was just too narrow for my machine to I just turned it under and slip stitched by hand.

 
The pattern is listed as easy, and I guess you could say it is, it's just very fiddly what with the fine bias binding at the neck and the little ties at the wrists. If I ever sew it up again, I will cut a 16 at the neck and an 18 at the waist/hips as the neckline is very roomy.  All in all, I love this top.  It makes me feel so feminine with its sheer flowiness and delicate pink coloring. 

The next project is a little more masculine and difficult for me.  Happy stitching.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment