I love sewing--any form of needle and thread makes me happy.

Monday, August 10, 2015

The Purple Fan Top

Catching up a little on my sewing projects here.  Also recently finished is Butterick 6187 a Connie Crawford design.  This pattern as short sleeves, empire waist, and an asymmetrical hem in the front.

The package would have had me sew a large, but the garment's finished measurements on the pattern pieces put me at a medium, which worked out beautifully. The pattern says its based on "Modern Sizing" which included a fuller figure, and rounder shoulders.  Go by the finished measurments, there's still plenty of ease.  I have a 38½ bust and the medium has a finished size of 42 inches.

The fabric is a silky polyester blend from Joann's with a nice drape and hand. The skirt front is not cut on the bias so it relies on the drape of the fabric. 

The instructions were very easy to follow and the garment a quick, easy sew and  I serged the seams. I love how comfy it is.  It is the best-fitting armhole and sleeve I've ever made.  I think the front bodice makes me look a little flat, but my husband says it looks fine although not "bust enhancing".  I think that means they're not a featured item in this top unlike in most empire waist items.  I enjoy wearing it because it's cool and comfortable and the color is flattering.  I don't think I'll make it again as there are more flattering tops around.  It's a good pattern, just not for everyone.  Sizes range from 3-4 to 42-44. 

No comments:

Post a Comment